蓝色的思念

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Women and aging

Now doesn't that sound like an essay topic on sociology...

I realise that I've been unconsciously conducting my own very unprofessional field research on how women age. (I mean, given that in a few years time, or maybe even at present, it will be one of those physical issues that will be buggin' me) So I've been very observant of the ladies around me. Especially those with kids. Becoz, just like my mom was commenting the other day, women's looks can really deteriorate after childbirth plus a few years of childcare. I pay special attention to the mothers of primary school kids coz some of them really look a lot older than what I believe their age is. Unless the trend of later marriages is really as prevalent as it is made to sound.

I find the 30s to be the age range where the looks spectrum really stretches. Coz there seems to be several women in their 30s who look 10 years older, and several who look ten years younger...If I use celebrities as a benchmark (I know I shouldn't but they represent the highest attainable level of looks maintenance), then a lot of women must be reaching the "auntie" status a lot earlier than they should (!). How disturbing. But then again my research has no empirical data and is almost entirely subjective.

Yep and I do believe that women should give birth in their 20s...but at the rate that moi is going...yes I might end up as one of those old-looking mothers (ugh wat a term!!) when the time comes, that is..if it ever comes.

There's this couple I met when I was doing my weekend rounds as a Choice presenter. They are rather well-known in the local Catholic community coz they are both quite high-profile folks in the Family Life arena, going around giving talks to schools about sex and sexuality and related stuff. Dad's a doctor, Mom's a lawyer and they've got six kids. Six. And for a couple with six kids they really look damn good (rights this jus about confirms my shallowness). So...in a way I aspire to become like them. In a way. Of course it ain't easy doing what they do and I would definitely prefer teaching to poking at other people's wounds (that is a major issue I have with the medical profession) or having to memorise legal jargon.

Ah well, issues in life...

***


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home