蓝色的思念

Monday, June 11, 2007

reflections

The school hols are the only time in the year when I can stop and reflect about my current state of existence.

So it's been a year since I embarked on this teaching job officially. Has been a really interesting kind of learning experience, complete with blood, sweat and tears. Was forced to make some fundamental changes to personality (never a comfortable act) and also discovered more (usually negative) traits about myself. (like how I can never function properly if I have to wake up before six a.m. daily, the extent of my 3 second-comparable-to-a-goldfish-short-term-memory, how it may not be the best thing to go back to your alma mater and see that you cannot apply any of your old familiar standards on the kids anymore)

Have been researching future prospects of a second career after teaching, and managed to attain some headway. Most prob will want to go for further studies (not involving research in a lab doing repetitive rounds of the same experiment of course) in UK/Australia. Has been long-held dream of mine to study overseas, and still remember my naivete after the A-Levels, blindly applying for any Tom Dick Harry scholarship that could get me an overseas education. Was extremely miserable during first year in NUS, feeling like I've been denied a slice of the glamour pie. But in retrospect, if I had ended up overseas I would have missed out on so much - the network of friends...and most importantly a strong Catholic community in the form of CSS. Think I would be quite a different person today without it, much less close to God...

So yeah...overseas education. Much to consider...

In the meantime, am just getting too comfortable at home and in front of the internet. Most colleagues have chosen this time to go for a short holiday...but I shall...save money..hurrr....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home